October 17th, 2017
A solid oral health routine begins with daily brushing, flossing, and rinsing. Without a consistent oral health regimen, you may begin to experience tooth decay and bacterial infections. Few patients ask Dr. Douglas and Larry Harte about different mouthwash options, so we’ve put together a list of the conditions that mouthwashes can treat. This should help you decide which oral rinse would be best for you.
Antiseptic mouthwashes reduce large amounts of bacteria on and near the gum line and generally help to decrease your chances of developing gingivitis. The key ingredients of antiseptic mouthwashes are antibacterial and antimicrobial items. Antiseptic mouthwash is a preferable option if you are concerned about the general gum health of your mouth.
Fluoride is a great tool for preventive tooth decay treatment. It prevents tooth decay and is great for oral health in general because it kills germs that can live in your mouth. Fluoride also builds stronger teeth. If you’re a bottled water drinker, Dr. Douglas and Larry Harte may recommend that you purchase a simple fluoride rinse to use after brushing.
Fluoride mouthwash can be used to fight any bad breath issues you may be facing. It’s designed to combat any bacteria that might be building up in your mouth. Most mouthwashes will help eliminate bad breath, but some are specifically designed to address this difficult problem. If you feel as though this might be turning into a chronic problem, please contact Dr. Douglas and Larry Harte to discuss other options that would be effective for treating your symptoms.
American Dental Association (ADA Approval)
The ADA reviews all mouth rinses for safety measures and to prove effectiveness. Any mouthwash approved by the ADA has met strict guidelines according to whether the manufacturer’s claims are supported with scientific evidence. If you’re looking for a quality mouthwash, look for one that has the ADA seal of approval to ensure you have a great rinse for your mouth.
When you’re trying to decide which mouthwash to pick, contact our Sparta or Livingston, NJ or ask Dr. Douglas and Larry Harte during your next appointment. If you experience a burning sensation in the soft tissues of your mouth, be sure to discontinue use immediately. Avoid letting children under age six use a mouth rinse, and be sure to keep all mouthwashes out of the reach of children, because they contain alcohol and other substances that could be harmful.
October 10th, 2017
There are so many adults and teens in our Sparta or Livingston, NJ office who would love to have their teeth straightened but that are unwilling to go through the long and unsightly process of traditional metal braces. Well, that's where Invisalign® and Invisalign Teen® come to the rescue; the most advanced clear aligner systems in the world!
There are several reasons why, if you're considering getting braces, you should consider Invisalign too. Here are some of them:
- You can eat whatever food you'd like, without worrying about it getting caught in wires or breaking brackets.
- Most people won't even know you're wearing them!
- If you need to, you can remove your aligners at any time.
- The removable aligners let you brush and floss as you normally would, making for better overall oral health.
- Since they are made of a smooth BPA-free plastic, Invisalign aligners are simply more comfortable to wear than traditional braces. No metal means no more roughed up gums or irritated tongue!
- You'll need to visit our Sparta or Livingston, NJ office less often — only once every six weeks or so.
- With Invisalign Teen, you’ll receive up to six replacements for lost or broken aligners.
Before you get started with treatment, you’ll have a consultation with Dr. Douglas and Larry Harte to see if Invisalign or Invisalign Teen is right for you. If your case is a good fit, then you’ll have X-rays, pictures, and impressions of your teeth taken. That information will be used to make the 3D models of your teeth that let Dr. Douglas and Larry Harte see how they will move throughout the entire treatment and approximately how long it will take.
After that, you’ll receive your aligners based on the treatment plan we recommend. You’ll get a new set of aligners every two weeks. Then all you need to do is wear your aligners 22 hours a day and you’ll be on your way to a straighter healthier smile. Don’t hesitate to a member of our Sparta or Livingston, NJ team for more information about Invisalign!
October 3rd, 2017
The iTero® Intraoral Scanner has revolutionized the way orthodontic impressions are taken. Now there's no need for messy, uncomfortable molds. Getting high-quality and accurate impressions has never been easier or more reliable.
When a patient comes to our Sparta or Livingston, NJ office for a consultation, Dr. Douglas and Larry Harte will need to take records of the person’s teeth and bite. Having a replica of a patient’s teeth and bite enables the orthodontist to plan out and visualize the most effective and timely treatment plan.
Traditionally, this was achieved by creating a plaster mold or cast. Putting the impression material and trays onto the teeth can be an uncomfortable process for many patients, especially those who have a sensitive gag reflex.
All that is history with iTero digital impressions. Our patients and team members alike love the speed and accuracy of the iTero Intraoral Scanner. We simply move the wand around your teeth and gums, and within seconds, you get a high-quality, accurate, and color digital impression. That’s all there is to it!
Here’s what patients love about iTero:
- There are no messy and gag-inducing molds involved.
- It’s quick, so the process doesn’t interfere with your busy schedule.
- It’s painless and can be used on even the most pain-sensitive patients.
- Impressions are saved in a digital format, so there’s no risk of molds breaking or needing to be recast.
- Cutting-edge accuracy makes for more timely, comfortable, and effective orthodontic treatment.
Our Sparta or Livingston, NJ office is equipped with the latest iTero technology to make your office visit a breeze. So many aspects of our lives have been digitized and simplified, why should your orthodontic treatment be any different?
If you’re thinking about getting braces or clear aligners, iTero will optimize the experience and help ensure you get the best treatment you possibly can!
September 26th, 2017
You can learn just about anything on the Internet these days. You can also order just about anything on the Internet these days.
But would you order your braces on the Internet? There’s a new trend involving websites that claim to offer a solution for straightening teeth, without your ever seeing a dentist or orthodontist in person.
These companies usually have patients take an impression of their teeth using putty and a tray. Then you mail the impressions back to the company where a dentist reportedly examines them and suggests a course of treatment using 3D modeling software.
A series of clear aligners are made, to be worn by the patient in order to attain the desired result. Although this form of orthodontic treatment may cost less than seeing an orthodontist in person, there are several reasons why you should avoid it:
- Potential health hazards are missed: If your oral health is not up to par (e.g., you have cavities, gingivitis, chipped teeth, etc.), an orthodontist would not suggest orthodontic treatment. Only after these issues are addressed would treatment be considered as an option. Whether this is the case with a person can’t be known when all the doctor sees is a set of impressions.
- Lack of information about the patient: Before you receive any orthodontic treatment, an orthodontist will have X-rays taken to make sure you are a good candidate. If the bones or teeth do not look like they would align properly with treatment, another course of care may be suggested, even necessary. None of this background is available to over-the-net orthodontic providers.
- No regular checkups: The purpose of regular checkups with Dr. Douglas and Larry Harte is to ensure that everything is moving properly, on schedule, and most important, safely. This lack of hands-on care with Internet orthodontics could be a hazard for you as a patient and has the potential to do more harm than good.
It’s not worth the risk of getting orthodontic treatment over the net just to save some money. Our Sparta or Livingston, NJ office is committed to working with you, whatever your financial situation may be.
Let’s work together to give you the smile you deserve!